Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sautéed Baby Octopus

I saw a picture like this in one of my culinary magazines a while back and decided that I had to try to make it. There was no recipe, just a picture, so I did a little research and came up with my own. We served this at a dinner party that we had for some friends and all but three people were brave enough to try it. (Chad & Rachel Gharring and even my wife refused to eat it). Those that did try it liked it or they lied to me, but either way, the plates came back empty... (I forgot to check the napkins...)

My grandfather liked serving baby octopus when he did shrimp and oyster bars at events that he was catering. I've always liked trying new things and learned to love the taste of baby octopus. They're much more tender than the more mature ones. You can generally find these guys in Asian markets (Like Ranch 99 down in San Diego). They come frozen in a block of ice already cleaned, de-beaked, and ready to use. For this dish, I poached them in salted boiling water until they were tender and then just sauteed them with a little garlic, shallots and olive oil. I served them on top of sliced fingerling potatoes and roma tomatoes. (Not too sure about the flavor combination, but the plate looked cool). Drizzle a little olive oil over everything, top with a lemon wedge with a few grinds of fresh black pepper and you're done.

My boys loved this.... the girls were horrified that I would even think of asking them to taste it.

Brennan loved playing with the thawed octopus

3 comments:

kanowfaminca said...

Westin eats octopus every time we eat sushi. In fact, he had some Saturday night! It is his favorite. Have you ever thought of tweeking your career? I've never seen such interesting, yummy food all in one place! I think you're on to something :)

brit.brat said...

seriously byron.this is fascinating.how do i get on this VIP list.any innitiations to get in..? whatever.i'll eat it.

ShOrt StoRy said...

This was delish when we had it with you guys! You're so innovative. Can we do a poor man's dinner with you guys one night?